Insects for human consumption

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have been reading about how the US will eventually have a lot of insects based snacks on the shelves soon, which I think is great..., except, what about the possibility of parasites they could pass on. I mean meat is hard enough to control with that and we've spent years controlling diseases within our factories with them. I can only imagine what an industrial farming of crickets would look like, especially since they want it up to 'human standards'. What would you do to make sure something so prone to pin worms even in clean containers such as a cricket, not have that?

U cook/roast them....

Im not a savvy shopper, but do they make raw insect snacks?

Meat is pretty safe once its been elevated to 135-145f, which is still pink
Circkets and mealworms are roasted at peanut levels (which also can not be eaten raw) so they are hitting 350f for 20min.

That is unless you like your crickets/mealworms at a nice moist rare :)

I would imagine roasted they would have pretty much no nutritional value other than protein and normal macronutrients.

In humans cooking food actually makes nutrients accessible for absorption in our stunted little digestive systems. Since we don't have much in the way of bacterial digestion we need the help. Don't know about chams but few pure predators use much bacterial digestion.

Back
Top Bottom