How to catch House flys for food.

Not a debate. This thread was about how to catch wild flys. If you want to catch them thats one way. Everyone knows what captive breed food cost and how to buy it.Some people let dogs and cats lick their face yet they know they lick there butt. To each his own.
Interesting debate....

I would differentiate between garbage/poop/putrid meat feeders such as wild caught flies, and non garbage feeders such as moths, butterflies, dragonflies, grasshoppers and locusts.

Variety is important, but you can accomplish variety by buying flies, and WC is not necessarily "better" just because it is WC, IMHO.

Blue Bottle or Houseflies that are commercially raised have virtually no risk, and the cost is minimal:

500 BB spikes (re:maggots) is 2.5 cents per fly shipped.
1,000 BB spikes is 1.8 cents per fly shipped.

Mantisplace.com has both and they last about a month for me in the refrigerator. I dump about 10 a day into hatching containers in the cages, they pupate and hatch, and they crawl out a hole in the side of the container on a bamboo skewer, so they continuously feed my chams.

At under 2 cents a feeder, it is the way to go, chams are attracted the the quick movements of a fly, and the fly container in the cage can auto feed when I am gone.:D

Nick

I didn't mean all fly are bad , but if you just caught them while they were sitting on fish heads.....then fed them to the Cham....ewww!!! Cb flys....by all means go for it, because your controlling what there eating and touching.

First of all- I'm brand new here and I must say, I love this forum. Very informative. One other thing I absolutely love about this place is the harmony everyone seems to have. With that being said, I'm not here to piss anyone off. I've had accounts with other types of forums where it was nothing but a virtual mudslinging match. I've debated the 'Wild caught vs. Captive bred' feeder topic with a good friend for years until I just gave up. I look at it like this- Chameleons in the wilds of Africa and Madagascar aren't ordering take-out from Fluker farms every evening for dinner. They're eating wild insects and flies that have most certainly dined on something that most will find offensive. Chameleons have been around for something like 29,000,000 years I think? Wild animals have ways of dealing with parasites to a certain extent. They live with these parasites and if they were that detriminal to their existence, they would not have survived 29 million years. It's kinda like what Jeff Goldblum said in Jurassic Park, "Nature, finds a way..."
If you choose not to feed wild caught insects more power to you. Most of the serious complications that flies can harbor are with fly species that aren't even common in U.S. such as the Sand flies. I know there's alot of people on here from all over the world and not just the U.S., so I can't speak for them. Contracting Mycobacterium leprae and Dysentary is highly unlikely in my opinion. Just something to consider maybe....Peace????

Back
Top Bottom