Home Depot Chameleon Cage

Great looking cages. I can tell your much better at building than I am. You can see a pic of my cages in the other link asking to see some setups. The one thing that caught my eye about your cages though, was how far the fluorescents were away from the tree. I know I use reptisun 5.0 and they say you should try to keep it where you cham can get within a foot of the bulb. They say that the 10.0's will reach 20" so that may be another way to go if your fixtures are within that distance. Otherwise I think you may have to think about powersun bulbs. I hear they penetrate quite far. The problem with them is they cost a ridiculous amount of money. But they do act as both a basking, and a UV bulb. Either way, the cages look great. When are you building me some?

They look very nice, Scott. Your drainage system is coming along nicely! I would love to have a pipe hooked into my sewer system from my cage. This spring, I do plan to directly hook in a water line and get rid of the pressure sprayer though!

Heika

Heika said:
They look very nice, Scott. Your drainage system is coming along nicely! I would love to have a pipe hooked into my sewer system from my cage. This spring, I do plan to directly hook in a water line and get rid of the pressure sprayer though!

Heika
I'm hooking mine into the plumbing this week. I am hoping to get at least 50psi out of the house plumbing so I can make the fogger nozzles work.

home depot

Hi
I have built a cage from home depo stuff LOL:D I bought a corner shower unit and put it in my plant room. I didnt hook up plumbing I mounted the bottom on some cement blocks And put a tub underneath for draining and makes cleaning easier. I didnt put the door in but did put up the 2 glass sides. It looks very nice, I am still building off of it becuase the whole room will be theres I have 5 nosy-chams about 6 months of age.

Salina

Jamie,

You really have a nice collection of pics! Yahoo has a pretty nice gallery; is that free? I plan to build a cage this weekend :)

Thanks! And no, I have a paid account :D Not sure what comes with the free acct....

Good luck with the cage and most important... Have fun with it!!! Post pic's when it's done :p

~~Dreams drainage pans.... ~~

im using a reptarium for my guy and ive used them for my two jacksons back when i had them. the problem with them is their dark so its hard to see inside them and they have zipper problems too. so if your looking for cheap its a good way to start but only expect it to last about a year if your careful with the zipper other than that maybe hire a handyman to build one for you if your not too handy. materials will cost about 40 bucks and he will probably charge you around 60-80 to build it thats only a little more than the cost of a 6 ft reptarium

This thread is a couple of years old. I haven't seen some of those names on this site in quite awhile.

I build all my own cages.Size 24x32x68 The only problem is cost if you shop home depot aprox 280$ canadian$.Iam window&door installer and sales with buying power from suppliers.Best advice befriend someone in window industry from larger window company.Or go to window manufacturer will be cheaper than home depot.If you want supply list for building a reptibrezz style you can email me.Good luck.;)

I KNOW THIS IS OLD but, you can makec hameleon cages out of screening and plant water saucers, or pvc tube and fittings with a screen net around the door. im making a 3 cagein one 16x18x36 mind you theres 3 of us linked up together with pvc fitting CROSSES. so together its measure ments will be 48x18x36. so i can put a dual fluorescent over it i made the measurement of 3 cages being 16 inches wide though i made them deeper, 16 inches of dual fluoros should be sufficient where as most cages are just narrow. these cages are going to be for breeder females and juvies/babies. i also made a cage for my male out of 2 $5 water heater pans and some hardware cloth $8, used a 5 gallon bucket lid $1 under the bottom pan to re-inforce a wooden dowel $3. cut out some slips on the lid water heater pan silicone $3 on some mesh cloth and your good. i even made a heat lamp basket that drops down into the cage with some zip ties.

Thanks for the links! The estimated prices lead me to believe the money saved by making my own might not be worth it. I will do some pricing next time I am at Lowes or Home Depot.

Yeah its not worth it. Although I do re-screen my older cages and do save alot of money that way.

But buying all the supplies up front is a little more than just buying one pre-screened.

I am actually screening some cages today.

i've built 3 wood cages before brad, one 2x3x4 and two 2x2x4. ive also built matching stands, and when you're all finished the project, and everything is in perfect working order, it looks nice and it is holding up your chams great and your chams love it, then it surely pays off. its a longer process but its something you can reap every benifit from. ive never bult anything untill building my first cage, but it turned out amazing. it has lead me to take wood working in college. its deffinately a hobby in itself, i also design custom cages now for herp keepers in the area.

lmao!!!

ha! i think brad figured this out about five yrs ago according to the first posting. lol!

Ya... hahahaha!! Oh, well maybe Brad needs a refresher! Just kidding. I didn't look at the date, but earlier when I saw this I was like "weird... I'd think Brad is an old pro!"... sure is!!! lol!!! :p

not bad after rescreening it. i have to do the same. a sad mistke but a mistake indeed. and i was thinking of going dubia HA i tell you! HA! im resecreeing. and im building an all pvc cage that costs 60 to build a 3 sectional 16x18x36 so its gonna be a 48x18x36 when its built in together. thats some massive caging! and sterile versus wood! portable and light weight, talk about strength and did i mention STERILE.

Very Easy Inexpesive great cage to build

4 ft Tall, 17 in. wide tube cage
* Easy to clean, very mobile, and inexpensive to make! *

Materials: All available at your local hardware store
- 4 ft. wide, 57" long piece of quarter-inch hardware cloth (preferably the plastic coated variety because it protects your chams feet). You can also just buy a large role and use wire cutters to make it the right size

- 6 hog rings + hog ring pliers, you can also use zip ties but the hog rings look nicer

- clear silcone caulking + caulking gun

- 2 plastic plant water saucers measuring 17 inches in diameter

- Small bungee cords

Putting It All Together:

Roll the hardware cloth into a tube so that the tube fits snugly into one of the plant saucers. The two ends of the hardware cloth should overlap about 3 inches. (The diameter of your cage depends on the diameter of the plastic plant saucers that will go on the top and bottom. You can use larger saucers for a larger-diameter cage. Just measure the circumference of the plant saucer you want to use, and add 3 inches so you can overlap the ends of the hardware cloth when forming the tube to fit into the saucers.)

Secure the top and bottom of the tube with a hog ring or zip tie. Fasten the remaining zip ties, hog rings or wire ties along the edge until no gaps appear.

Place one end of the tube inside a plastic dish and secure with silicone. Put a bead of silicone along the hardware cloth seam on the inside of the cage. Be liberal with the silicone all along the edge to cover any sharp edges.

When the silicone dries, the tube cage is surprisingly durable and will take years of abuse. If the silicone becomes loose or the saucer breaks, simply attach a new saucer in the same fashion. The hardware cloth will outlast plastic saucer replacements many times over. Wire can also be fashioned into a handle and secured to the cage to make moving it easier.

Place a nontoxic plant (see the “Plant Paradise” sidebar for tips on choosing a plant) inside, and some perches. A chameleon’s feet are very similar to a bird’s feet. Provide various sized branches and sticks in the enclosure. This encourages proper circulatory function and eases cramping and joint pain. If only one size of branch or perch is provided, foot problems may occur. Fresh, green, smooth branches from the yard or different sizes of dowels are OK. Variety is the key to exercising the feet properly.

Now add your chameleon and put the other water saucer on top. Secure the top saucer with small bungee cords to ensure your chameleon doesn’t escape.

***It takes longer to purchase the supplies than actually assembling the tube cage!

Back
Top Bottom