hissing roaches

Discussion in 'Chameleon Food' started by poison, Aug 18, 2012.

1. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

need a little help on breeding these guys i went to the pet store to get dubia but i only asked for roaches and they gave me hissing lol i guess next time ill be more specific. but any ways is it the same as breeding dubia and how fast do they breed?

2. maxttu

maxttu
    Expand Collapse

:eek: Make sure you have a tight/locking lid, tape around the interior top and olive oil or bug stop under that! There is NOTHING that these guys can't climb. Breeding: hot, humid, regular gutloads. I use the loose coconut fiber as a substrate. I heard that it's better for breeding?

I've had limited success, but I've only been at it for a couple of months. Good luck!! :)

3. justjumpit621

justjumpit621
    Expand Collapse

Mine are breeding great. I use a glass tank with screen lid. Petroleum jelly around the top 4 inches of the tank, egg cartons, an under tank heat pad, and veggie scraps.

4. maxttu

maxttu
    Expand Collapse

Oh, and how many did you get? Cost? There is a considerable cost difference between dubs and hissers! :eek: Do you know how to sex them? Are they sexually mature?

5. Meow Kitty

Meow Kitty
    Expand Collapse

apparently dubia roaches are not considered approved feeders yet and most pet stores don't carry them

6. justjumpit621

justjumpit621
    Expand Collapse

They are illegal too some places

7. mpeek

mpeek
    Expand Collapse

I have both dubias and hissers. I would try to get dubias if I were you. They are a lot easier in my opinion. The biggest draw back to hissers is their ability to climb anything and everything. I have had many escape, but now that I have put about a 2 inch barrier of Vaseline around the top of the cage it is a totally different story.

8. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

im 100% sure there hissers they hissed lol and i got 3 1 male 2 females im pretty sure i know how to sex them the females are longer then the male and i paid $2 each

9. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

every pet store out here carries them i just should have been more clear on what i wanted

10. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

there not illegal here

11. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

lol yeah i put Vaseline on the sides so they cant get out

12. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

do you use bedding?

13. justjumpit621

justjumpit621
    Expand Collapse

14. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

ok yeah i have 1 male and 2 females would that be enough to start?

15. patrickfraser

patrickfraser
    Expand Collapse

To start, yes, but you don't want to feed off too many of the nymphs in order to get a good colony going.

16. maxttu

maxttu
    Expand Collapse

Check in about a year from now and let us know! :) You're gonna be waiting awhile! ;) You'll probably want to start out with at least 5-10 adult females and 5 adult males. Do you know if your 3 are adults??

17. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

haha ill try and get more adults then. and im pretty sure there adults thats what i asked for and there huge but ill post a pic in a little

18. maxttu

maxttu
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]
    These guys are all pretty big. How many adults do you see?

19. poison

poison
    Expand Collapse

oh i like games :) im going to say 5

20. maxttu

maxttu
    Expand Collapse

Good guess! There might be one more. Also, $2 per adult Hisser is a great price at the LPS level! Go pick up all that you can afford! ;)