Help with rescued veiled

EsqChams

image.jpeg
My local pet sore (family owned and very responsible) took in a female veiled as a customer surrender that appeared sick. I stopped by, saw her, and offered to try and help the poor thing in any way I could. They offered for me to just take her home in hopes she could be saved.

So....I have this girl. She's extremely lethargic, doesn't eat, and appears unable to open her eyes. I take her outside for fresh air and provide her plenty of misting in a completely screened enclosure. I have a small feeding dish with mealworms available to her but she hasn't eaten anything in at least a week.

Any insight, tips, or suggestions would be very appreciated.

You can ease her pain and stimulate her desire to eat by exhaling a small puff of medical marijuana cloud around her head. Do this twice a day, then feed her only white butterfly's until she starts to improve. You may want to inhale the smoke yourself because sick chameleons can be really depressing chameleon. I think you should have to like have a license to buy a chameleon. When you think any moron can just walk in and pick up a lizard to torture. Geeze. Anywhoo. You might not believe me. But whatever. It's all true.

Ok... I don't know whether that was a joke or not.... Anyway do you know if she's been supplemented at all? She may need some vitamin A injections if she hasn't been. Can you get a full body picture? Has she stooled/and urated for you? What does the urate look like? You will most likely need to take her to vet to get some liquid food for her because that is the best you can find. It's called Carnivore Care, you can buy it online but getting the right dosage without veterinary advice is hard. The next best thing to buy is Reptiboost. This is also a liquid diet that you can feed. I feed both of these foods in tandem with a pear and rasberry baby food to keep the stool moving.

Ok... I don't know whether that was a joke or not.... Anyway do you know if she's been supplemented at all? She may need some vitamin A injections if she hasn't been. Can you get a full body picture? Has she stooled/and urated for you? What does the urate look like? You will most likely need to take her to vet to get some liquid food for her because that is the best you can find. It's called Carnivore Care, you can buy it online but getting the right dosage without veterinary advice is hard. The next best thing to buy is Reptiboost. This is also a liquid diet that you can feed. I feed both of these foods in tandem with a pear and rasberry baby food to keep the stool moving.
I don't think she's been supplemented at all, nor has she produced any stool or urate since I've had her. The rest of her body looks perfectly normal. Good coloration, no signs of bone disease, etc. But she's clearly not well. I appreciate the tips - I'm reluctant to rack up vet bills, but buying the food and seeing about the correct dosage is doable.

I am not sure if she needs a Vit A shot for sure, if she hasn't been supplemented at all, it's most likely the problem. Though I would expect more signs of MBD as well. If she does need Vit A it tends to not get better. I am hoping someone else will chime in with some more answers. I've dealt with Vit A deficiency before, and it can take a LONG time to get them better. Once they get to the point of having their eyes closed and not eating it can take several months. However it may not be that. She also may need to be manually watered, which is why you need to check out her urates next time she goes. Which I assume she won't until you get some food in her.

Edit: She looks dehydrated though.

I think what Andee and Jann said is very important to do. I have reptiboost. I had a little difficulty getting it into mine but a little is a lot w chamies. She needs water desperately. Her eyes are so sunken (Hey, anyone, do you think she could put a little pedialite in her water, or no, is that just wasted time?) Time is your enemy right now cause you have some big problems. Do you know anything re: chameleons or did you just feel her suffering and needed to help. either way, you came to the right place cause most of these people know their stuff. Go to the medical section and start reading. Shoot, go to any section and keep reading. There is a lot to learn and as I said, time is your enemy w this little sick chamie.

I forgot, drip water on her nose. Even if she won't open, you will see her swallow sometimes, so some is getting in there. Keep trying. Don't give up

I think you should need a licence to have a child....
Children are basically just big mammalian chameleons, but still babies are a lot more hardy. I dropped all of mine several times. Didn't even hurt them at all really. They do scream louder than chameleons. Beside that they practically take care of themselves.

When you get the liquid diet, which ever you choose, just paint it on the outside of the lips with the oral syringe that is given. They should lick it off.

I don't think she's been supplemented at all, nor has she produced any stool or urate since I've had her. The rest of her body looks perfectly normal. Good coloration, no signs of bone disease, etc. But she's clearly not well. I appreciate the tips - I'm reluctant to rack up vet bills, but buying the food and seeing about the correct dosage is doable.
I think the most important thing you can do is get her drinking and hydrated. Dehydrated chams stop eating and eventually shut down even if nothing else seems wrong.

You can ease her pain and stimulate her desire to eat by exhaling a small puff of medical marijuana cloud around her head. Do this twice a day, then feed her only white butterfly's until she starts to improve. You may want to inhale the smoke yourself because sick chameleons can be really depressing chameleon. I think you should have to like have a license to buy a chameleon. When you think any moron can just walk in and pick up a lizard to torture. Geeze. Anywhoo. You might not believe me. But whatever. It's all true.
I am not trying to be mean, but I have to say that this post is confusing, distracting, and not very helpful for the OP. When someone joins us (especially someone new to chams) very worried and needing immediate help, having to filter past responses like this is frustrating. It may have been meant in fun, but the OP may not understand what part was intended to help and what part was not. It also gives the impression that our forum isn't serious or informed, and that insulting sarcastic behavior is tolerated.

Please, if you want to joke around let's save it until the OP's crisis has passed. There are subforums for stuff like this.

OK, off soapbox.

Last edited:
I agree with Carlton' s post. Had I been a new member and that was the first answer I got to a question I would have left and never returned. I would approach the pet store and at least try to see if the would be willing to help with vet Bill. My opinion is she really needs to see one to save her life.

I am not trying to be mean, but I have to say that this post is confusing, distracting, and not very helpful for the OP. When someone joins us (especially someone new to chams) very worried and needing immediate help, having to filter past responses like this is frustrating. It may have been meant in fun, but the OP may not understand what part was intended to help and what part was not. It also gives the impression that our forum isn't serious or informed, and that insulting sarcastic behavior is tolerated.

Please, if you want to joke around let's save it until the OP's crisis has passed. There are subforums for stuff like this.

OK, off soapbox.
You are not the first person to object to my posting style. But you are incorrect in several of your insinuations. Number one is suggesting that using a lighter tone, which you refer to as sarcasm, is somehow insulting. I believe the true insult to the newbie, as they posted themselves, was no one replied to them. Check the post. You also insulted them by suggesting they don't understand fun. Number two, I understand many old timers who never like change may be upset, that, and this too was mentioned in the Op, there has been a significant influx of new members. People like chameleons. All kinds of people. Lowly common plebes like my self who love chameleons for the sheer curiosity, fun, and amazement of communing with, caring for, and getting to know such a majestic creature as the chameleon. We common folk are often turned of by the pedantic raving of elitist academics in their golden palaces of knowledge
image.jpeg
. Don't mistake my lightheartedness for thoughtlessness or worse an insult. Just because I use the lamans approach. And are you so sure that the treatment I offered is completely insane? Would not cannabis have either the effect I suggest or at worst no effect at all due to the chameleons complete lack of a canibinoiadal system. Only mammals can feel the effects. And quite frankly that's who needed it the OP. The human. face it. That Cham looked sick. And that sucks. But just like humans no one lives forever. And that little buddy was on the way out in my opinion. So in the face of death, I look into the great abyss with a defiant sense of indifference, and try to have a smile on my face. And gosh darn it. the OP deserves that too!! Long live chameleonforum. I love you baby. Drop the mike peace out

I agree with Carlton' s post. Had I been a new member and that was the first answer I got to a question I would have left and never returned. I would approach the pet store and at least try to see if the would be willing to help with vet Bill. My opinion is she really needs to see one to save her life.
The
first answer the op got was no answer. That's why they complained. And that's why I replied. A playful distraction tinted with ambiguously suggested treatments that may actually be effective is better than nothing. Where were all the experts when OP needed them !? I love all my forum friend even you. never doubt the veiledprophets dedication!!!

For the record, I found the initial reply lighthearted and obviously tongue in cheek.
I do appreciate all of the feedback and have taken several poster's advice on treatment.

And not worry, although new to the forums, I'm a seasoned attorney so it takes a lot to scare me off!

Ik this is gonna sound weird but try Cr ushing up some mealworms and crx into a liquid kinda thing, putting it in a syringe then feed it to here like that. I've heard that helps and any sick reptile likes it!! You can put come calcium dust in it or whatever and feed it to her like the other people have said, around the lips and put it in the back of her mouth. I did this with my sick Cham and he liked it. Wish you the best of luck!!!

Please post a couple more photos of her showing all of her.
Also please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum so we can help you better.

Back
Top Bottom