Help With My New Baby Veiled...

Winpooh718

20160920_205047.jpg
20160922_171729.jpg
20160920_201413.jpg

Okay, I got this little guy on Tuesday, and I've been feeding him flightless fruit flies, extremely small crickets, and teeny tiny mealworms.

Should I be feeding him microscopic cut greens? Am I on the right track?

Is there anything else he needs at this time that I'm neglecting to do?

Last edited:
Also fill out the how to ask for help form under the health clinic forum. Just copy and paste it here and answer the questions and it will allow us to what you are doing and then we can help you tweet anything that might need it.

Dont some people say mealworms are a no no ? I know there are limited things a small cham can eat id stick with small crix flies are good hornsworms, phoe worms, silkworms an occaisional butterworm or wax worm. When they get bigger superworms and roaches are good to for feeders instead of mealworms I know they are cheap but i think they are hard to digest sometimes.

Sorry for neglecting to paste the information from the Health Clinic Peachypink.

Lizzie The Chameleon and Andee I also noticed the casque having an odd shape. The little guy is camera shy, but, I got what pics I could.

rminnis, I will give him a pothos or ficus from my other chameleons, thanks for reminding me. The little guy has been provided with a "little dripper", I spray the cage, and I have offered the smallest mealworms, waxworms, and crickets I could find. I also put a small portion of a mix of kale, collard and mustard greens in a tiny dish should he want it.

I tried to cancel my order after reading some not so nice things about First Choice Reptiles, and they sent him without notifying me, so he got stuck on the UPS truck for an additional 8 hours. I was just happy to find him alive!

I brought him straight to PetSmart and PetLand looking for foods he could eat -- which is how I got the fruit flies and baby crickets. It was suggested I could give him mealworms that are small enough for him to eat.

I just want to do the right thing, but, information on veiled chameleon babies is limited.

Here are some pics of his casque...

20160922_184253.jpg
20160922_184246.jpg
20160922_184332.jpg
20160922_184255.jpg

He almost looks like he has had an injury to his casque, or is starting to have mbd, but with how bad his casque is I would assume his legs would show more problems. Make sure you powder all his meals. He most likely won't eat much greens, he's still pretty young. I would mist him very heavily for the next few days. Maybe 4 times a day for 4 minutes each. Feed him as much as he'd eat, though I am pretty sure he is a she. She needs to put some weight on.

I concur Chameleomom, his casque reminds me more of a shark fin than a casque.

Andee, I have a gut feeling it's not a male, even though I ordered a male, and paid extra for a male! I'll adhere to your food, calcium, and misting suggestions while praying (s)he is going to be okay.

Daniel.piacquadio, I purchased the little guy from First Choice Reptiles, at the suggestion of a friend. After ordering I tried to cancel after reading about problems with this company, but, they shipped him without notifying me.

Try getting some black soldier fly larvae, also known as phoenix worms or calci-worms. They are naturally extremely high in calcium and don't need to be powdered. They also can help stop the process of mbd.

Thanks Andee! Do they sell these phoenix worms online? My local stores are limited in what they carry -- they don't even sell screened cages, or half the items I needed to set up my other 3 veiled chameleons.

Yes phoenix worms can easily be found online in many websites. For your baby I would buy 100 count of small or mediums. They are relatively small, soft bodied and don't fill up your chameleon fast. So a chameleon your size could easily eat 5 smalls and still be able to eat more.

Much appreciated Andee! Will see how fast I can get them shipped, with tomorrow being a Friday.

I really can't thank you enough for the help!

I concur Chameleomom, his casque reminds me more of a shark fin than a casque.

Andee, I have a gut feeling it's not a male, even though I ordered a male, and paid extra for a male! I'll adhere to your food, calcium, and misting suggestions while praying (s)he is going to be okay.

Daniel.piacquadio, I purchased the little guy from First Choice Reptiles, at the suggestion of a friend. After ordering I tried to cancel after reading about problems with this company, but, they shipped him without notifying me.
Are they a big company, buecause if they are they may of not tooled car of him

Daniel.piacquadio, the company is in Florida, and has mixed reviews.

It appears as though they have been around for a while if you do a search.

Unfortunately, they have many cases against them with the BBB, and many have uploaded videos of opening shipments with dead reptiles inside.

Like I've said several times, I tried to cancel the order, but, they shipped the chameleon anyway -- with no notification of the shipment. The poor thing was stuck an extra 8 hours in a metal UPS truck on a very humid day.

Back
Top Bottom