Help with identification of Chameleon species from Uganda

rudolfwessels

Dear all, this is my first post on this forum, but recently I have been to Uganda and found several species of Chameleon. I made some clear pictures but still I'm not able to identify them for 100% based on the book I have (Reptiles and Amphibians of East Africa - from Spawls, Howell and Drewes). Please help me with the identification. I will add the pictures in batches per finding (total of 3).

Thanks. Rudolf Wessels
20160526_Uganda_WER_6562 copy.jpg
20160526_Uganda_WER_6563 copy.jpg

Welcome to the forums. I know we are not suppose to guess here but it looks like Tate, a little guy I use to have. He was a Graceful (Chamaeleo gracilis) it could also be a Chamaeleo senegalensis.
When Chris Anderson sees this he will be able to give you a positive ID.

Thanks. Based on a distribution map (I found this specimen close to lake Albert) it could be Chamaelo gracilis or Chamaelo laevigatus. It actually also looks quite similar to Chamaelo dilepis, but this one should not be expected in this area (only 300 km south).

As Jann indicated, the animals in your first two posts are Chamaeleo gracilis. Chamaeleo dilepis would have larger occipital lobes, while Chamaeleo laevigatus would have none and would also lack the strong dorsal crest.

Thanks for sharing! Let us know if you have other chameleon photos you'd like help IDing!

Chris

Yep, another Chamaeleo gracilis. Please feel free to share photos of other chameleons you've seen during your travels as well. We always enjoy seeing photos of these animals in the field!

Chris

OK, please find attached some pictures of chameleons I found in Madagascar. Is there also anyone on this forum that has expertise in snakes, praying mantae and or stick insects and frogs
_WER0948 copy.jpg
_WER0948 copy2.jpg
_WER1014 copy.jpg
kameleon met rare neus 2.jpg
Madagascar_2010_05603_WER kopie.jpg
Madagascar_2010_06086_WER kopie.jpg
Madagascar_2010_06201_WER_2.jpg
Madagascar_2010_06259_WER_2.jpg
Madagascar_2010_06397_WER_2.jpg
? Would be nice to have some support for the identification of some non-chameleons that I encountered during my trip to Uganda. Regards, Rudolf

Beautiful shots, thanks for sharing. Not sure if you already have IDs on the Malagasy chameleon species, but in case you don't, Images 1-3, 6, 8, & 9 are Furcifer pardalis. Image 4 appears to be Calumma brevicorne (although if photographed on Amber Mountain like the following photo, it would be Calumma amber). Image 5 appears to be Brookesia tuberculata (photographed on Amber Mountain, correct?) and image 7 is a female Furcifer petteri.

Chris

Rudolf

Thanks for posting more pictures from your travels! Have you got more pictures of chameleon species from other parts of mainland Africa and Madagascar?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom