Heavy breathing?

Damicofam6

Established Member
I took Mr. Freeze out today just for about 5 minutes and I don't take him out often but I noticed he was kinda breathing heavy. It was not non stop but more of when he was reaching for my other hand or pulling himself up onto my other hand. He eats/drinks great and I have a schedule for all of his supplements. Another thing I've noticed is that when he eats sometimes he almost hisses while retracting his tongue but he does tend to shoot his tongue from far away compared to my other cham Skittles so maybe that's why? Have any of you ever heard of something like this?

Edit: I also forgot to add that he does not like to come out of his cage but usually calms down after he is out after a few minutes so maybe this was caused by him being stressed out?

I've never noticed that with any of my chams. I'd keep a close eye on him and see if there's any other changes. You might want to fill out the ask for help form and post some recent pictures of him.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Nosy Be panther. 2.5yrs old. I've had him since 6/13/16
  • Handling - Once every 1-2 weeks. He does not like to come out
  • Feeding - Crickets as a staple and throw in hornworms,dubias,silkworms. around 15 crickets every other day. gut loaded with cricket crack.
  • Supplements - Miner-all 2X a week. Calcium w/D3 1X a month. Reptivite 2X a month. Herptivite 2X a month. Calcium w/no d3 all other feeding days.
  • Watering - hand spraying and dripper. (i have a mistking for my other cham just not set up in both cages yet) I mist whenever my mistking goes off for my other cham(4-5 times a day) and he drinks great.
  • Fecal Description - Never seen anything wrong with his dropping. never been tested for parasites as far as i know.
  • History - I got him from a guy who used to be a breeder and he seemed well taken care of.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage. 48x18x18
  • Lighting - lights go 8am to 8pm. Was told his uvb bulb was fairly new but changed the basking bulb.
  • Temperature - temps range from 86°F-75°F. overnight is around 75°F. measured with zilla thermometer/hydrometer & temperature gun
  • Humidity - 50% humidity - 90% after misting. Hand misting/dripper to help increase. measured with zilla thermometer/hydrometer
  • Plants - 1 schefflera plant. plan to add a pothos. also have a few fake plants
  • Placement - half over a window. Have a ceiling fan and occasionally use a box fan, have the ac vent closest to cage closed. highest point of cage to floor is about 6ft.
  • Location - Massachusetts USA

Current Problem - Just noticed today that Mr. Freeze was breathing kinda heavy, it wasn't like a wheeze or cough but more like a clearing nose sort of thing. It was only when he was climbing on me from one hand to another but stopped when he was walking normally. He does not like to come out so maybe this was caused by stress? I only had him out 5-10 minutes. I also noticed the past few days he has been sort of hissing when eating. He shoots his tongue with no noise but when he retracts his tongue there is a hiss sound. I have noticed he shoots from farther away tan my other cham so maybe that's why? I'll keep an eye on him and update this if i notice anything else. If i missed anything or you need more information just let me know and I will let you know. Thanks.

How does the inside of his mouth look. Is it yellow and cheesy
I'll try to look tomorrow. What's the best way to open his mouth? He is pretty aggressive and I don't want to stress him out. I'll feed him and see how it looks though.

Try rubbing the front of his nose. I find that works he should open his mouth. Never forcefully open it. Unless you want to get tagged by him. I just got was one of mine bit me today

Mr. Freeze was not very happy with me trying to open his mouth but I did free him a few crickets and watched his mouth. It looks normal to me, there's a little bit of yellow near the corner of his mouth, is that normal? Other than that there is no thick saliva or anything.

Got a better look today and there is some yellow in his mouth right on the corner for sure. I know chameleons can have bright color mouths but this is right on the inside of his lip on the corner. Is it time for a vet visit?

Yellowish mucosa or tissue is normal, if you are seeing clumps of yellow matter, like plaque, then you worry about infection and a vet is needed ASAP. Not seeing the inside of the mouth myself, I can only guess. If this is not new behavior for him and he seems fine, I'd keep and eye on him and not worry. If he's got the cheesey plaque, he needs a vet, though.

My Vieled girl does this hiss when eating/retracting her tounge, i kinda brushed it off as normal. I notice she does it when shes "excited" and sees the food, usually she runs to feeding cup and hisses at the first one then never again.

As long as you're not seeing big chunks of cheese in his mouth he should be fine. Just make sure he's eating drinking and his temperature is right.

Mine hate it when I open their mouth also. One of mine opens its mouth anytime I go near the tank so it's easy. He's not the nicest guy. I think I get bit once a day by him

Back
Top Bottom