Do chameleons yawn?

Discussion in 'Health Clinic' started by marys, Jan 26, 2008.

1. marys

marys
    Expand Collapse

I have a 6 month old panther and have twice recently seen him doing what appears to be yawning. I've never heard of reptiles yawning so I'm a little concerned that it's a symptom of some kind of problem. Anybody have a clue?

2. Zoey

Zoey
    Expand Collapse

Mine opens her mouth likes she's yawning. Whenever she does it I mist her.

3. Brad Ramsey

Brad Ramsey
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Moderator

Yes, they yawn.

-Brad

4. Zoey

Zoey
    Expand Collapse

Its kinda funny when we catch Zoey in mid-yawn. Her eyes focus on us and she SLOWLY closes her mouth. Like we invaded her privacy lol

5. dodolah

dodolah
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Moderator

yes they do yawn.
    I also freak out the first time i saw it, until Brad told me that it was nothing :)
    thanks Brad.:D

6. wezeman512

wezeman512
    Expand Collapse

yeah my veiled does this atleast once a day, and my brothers tortoise does it

7. FaunaBgirl

FaunaBgirl
    Expand Collapse

I vaguely remember someone saying that if you see saliva strings, this is indicative of something wrong. What was that?

8. Sepioteuthis

Sepioteuthis
    Expand Collapse

Proof that chameleons yawn:

[​IMG]

:D

leedragon likes this.
  9. FaunaBgirl

FaunaBgirl
    Expand Collapse

That's not a yawn... that's a face stretch, to get the shedding skin off. Fractal does that a lot when his face is shedding.

10. pedro92

pedro92
    Expand Collapse

what type of chameleon is that.

11. Brad Ramsey

Brad Ramsey
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Moderator

It is a yawn. Happens here every morning ... shedding or not.

-Brad

12. Brad Ramsey

Brad Ramsey
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Moderator

Meller's

-Brad

13. Mesnik

Mesnik
    Expand Collapse

I saw mine yawning first time today!!! First it was a stretch and then the yawn. Very cool.

14. FaunaBgirl

FaunaBgirl
    Expand Collapse

Every since this thread was brought up, I've been watching them more in the mornings. And you guys are right. They yawn. lol Anyone know anything about "if there are strings of saliva when they yawn" what that is indicative of? I thought I read something once.

15. chamlover

chamlover
    Expand Collapse

That is a melleri chameleon. Isn't he gorgeous. I have one as well, he is my favorite. But don't tell the others, they all think they are my favorite. And yes chams do yawn, i think we bore them. lol.

16. PardalisGirl

PardalisGirl
    Expand Collapse
    Avid Member

Another question............

So my question is...............does one chameleon's yawn prompt another chameleon to yawn? Yawning seems to be "contagious" with people. Has anyone seen this happen with chameleons? I've got multiple chams housed in the same room where they can see each other across the room or are actually in the same cage (females). I've never seen one chameleon's yawn cause another one to yawn. Just curious now that the subject has been brought up.

17. lbesok

lbesok
    Expand Collapse
    Established Member

I believe that the stringy saliva can be indicative of a URI, that along with cracky breathing.

18. FaunaBgirl

FaunaBgirl
    Expand Collapse

That's what I thought I'd read... thank you. That's what makes me look everytime he opens his mouth. lol Always checking. :D

19. dodolah

dodolah
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Moderator

lol... that will be funny to see in a video clip.
    one yawning after another. :D
    Catherine, i PM you some Q. if you don't mind..

20. ISAAc_Ay561

ISAAc_Ay561
    Expand Collapse

I just got my new baby veiled chameleon yesterday. And this morning after his second misting, he yawned! I became paranoid that he had a respiratory infection. So I looked it up on this website.