Do Chameleons have the ability to show affection to their owners?

I dunno, I'm not sure 'not content' helps to kill things. I mean, just because I am not content doesn't mean that I am upset to the point where it wears my body down. Now, if I were stressed all the time, it definitely would wear me down.

Edit: I am not sure I would call being comfortable and stressed emotions. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's more of a state of being.

Edit2: I wouldn't call looking around curious either. I call that being aware. They don't go poking things to see what it is, they look at it and attempt to figure out if it's a threat. It's a survival tactic.

Last edited:
I dunno, I'm not sure 'not content' helps to kill things. I mean, just because I am not content doesn't mean that I am upset to the point where it wears my body down. Now, if I were stressed all the time, it definitely would wear me down.

Edit: I am not sure I would call being comfortable and stressed emotions. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's more of a state of being.

Edit2: I wouldn't call looking around curious either. I call that being aware. They don't go poking things to see what it is, they look at it and attempt to figure out if it's a threat. It's a survival tactic.
But when they are stressed they don't like it, or else they wouldn't have a negative reaction to it, not liking the feeling of stress would be discontent, discontent is an emotion. Even if a organism is only capable of simple emotion, it is still emotion and it is still worthy of recognition.

pssh, I offered "not content" as an "at least" definition of stressed. I prefer "not happy".

What would stress you to the point of wearing you down? Things that made you unhappy, right?

pssh, I offered "not content" as an "at least" definition of stressed. I prefer "not happy".

What would stress you to the point of wearing you down? Things that made you unhappy, right?

There are plenty of things that actually make me happy that stress me out. I would have to say that stress and unhappiness are not one in the same.

But when they are stressed they don't like it, or else they wouldn't have a negative reaction to it, not liking the feeling of stress would be discontent, discontent is an emotion. Even if a organism is only capable of simple emotion, it is still emotion and it is still worthy of recognition.

No, stress is a physiological response to external stimuli where stress hormones are released. These stress hormones alter various bodily functions, including increasing heart rate, blood pressure and breathing rate, decreasing digestion and growth, and shutting down immune response, among other things. The negative reaction to stress has nothing to do with them "not liking the feeling of stress", it has to do with the detrimental effects these physiological responses have on the body in the long term.

What I find interesting about chameleons is that they are capable of the comprehension of emotion.

Chameleons and most animals can pick up on aggressive behaviors as a defense mechanism but this is not the same as comprehension of emotion. Do you have anything that has actually documented true comprehension of emotion in chameleons?

I don't claim to know what chameleons feel [...] but, I do think that since it is on the more advanced end of he reptile world, and can feel, and show signs of emotions like stress, comfortability, and being fired up, they are most likely able to feel some sort of compassion toward something.

In what way exactly are chameleons on the advanced end of the reptile world? Thats a pretty blanket statement that really is not supported by much. Chameleons are quite unique in many ways, but I've never seen anything to indicate they are more advanced than other reptiles as far as their cognitive capacity, ability to understand and feel emotion, etc. Unfortunately your assumptions are simply another example of desperate attempts to extend human behavioral characteristics on animals that are fundamentally "wired" differently, while ignoring actual facts.

I personally think that all advanced life forms have the capability of feeling and expressing compassion. BUT, I also believe that the compassion can be overrun by another drive, like hunger, sex, or territoriality.

Compassion by its very definition is a function of social behaviors. As we've already discussed, chameleons are not social animals and do not have the same physiological responses that encourage and support the social structures and behaviors that mammals do.

Chris

I agree. All sorts of things I like stress me out. I tend to want to do too many things and end up stressed, even though I wanted (and like) to do all of it. I actually think that there are very few things that stress me out AND make me unhappy.

This has been a roller coaster of a thread for me. I laughed,cried,screamed.
I will let you guys guess which posts go with the appropriate response.

I try not to post on these type threads for fear of starting a heated argument. I try not to even read them. Chameleons have way more intelligence than most people give them credit for. When they are tucked away in a cage somewhere you just can't see it. My guys are free in my home and are a big part of the family. Not only do I kiss them they put their little noses up to my mouth when they are ready for a kiss. They crawl onto me wanting to be held and they also lay their head over on my chest and smuggle up to me. I know other keepers whose chams show affection too but they probably want post hear.

I completely agree with you Jann, this is a debate that has flooded the forums and everywhere else for many many years. I find that my reptiles(and amphibians) show at least something like affection, if even just loyalty, to me once bonded. Best case scenario is my Ball python Jahzyra. I rescued her a few months ago after she was abandoned for over 2 months in an apartment. She is so sweet and loves to hang out with me and go shopping. She used to be head shy but now lets me touch all over her face without a flinch. I know of one of my friends snakes who loves everyone except one of her friends whom she always bites. Leo does not mind when I hold him, but when someone else tries to pick him up he gets puffed up and hissy. My salamander will come to the front of his tank when I walk into the room, and likes to be held. I think the more I work with my reptiles, the more I will have insite into what they are "thinking" so to speak and maybe have the same results as Jann and her babies. I was lucky enough to also be blessed with "nice" chameleons.

I think what's terrific here regardless of facts and beliefs, is that the humans on this forum
ARE capable of complex emotions such as compassion and empathy and each in their way
make a difference to the way we think about other species, and teach respect for life by example.
You dont care about something until you understand it, and you dont seek to understand it without first having empathy and respect for it.
A journey of any length begins with a single step. :)

I think what's terrific here regardless of facts and beliefs, is that the humans on this forum
ARE capable of complex emotions such as compassion and empathy and each in their way
make a difference to the way we think about other species, and teach respect for life by example.
You dont care about something until you understand it, and you dont seek to understand it without first having empathy and respect for it.
A journey of any length begins with a single step. :)

Well said... well said... You dererve a round of applause!:D

Well said... well said... You dererve a round of applause!:D

"I'd Like to thank my fan". :D

rodney_dangerfield.jpg

:D :D :D

I care deeply for my little buddy Feldman, but I harbor no illusions that he feels the same, or feels any emotions, for that matter.

It's fun to think that there is an inter-species bond there of some kind, but that seems far-fetched when one considers they don't have a bond between themselves and their mates or offspring.

If he were larger and I were smaller I have no doubt that I would be stalked and find out first hand what a cricket feels when being retrieved by that long, sticky tongue.

There is a word for the more emotional contents of this thread: anthropomorphism.

Definition of ANTHROPOMORPHISM

: an interpretation of what is not human or personal in terms of human or personal characteristics : humanization

an·thro·po·mor·phist \-fist\ noun

Well, we have no real way of knowing how they would relate to an animal which proved to be non-threatening and, in fact, beneficial in the wild. I've seen pictures of "pairs" of chameleons on this board who seem to be very attached to each other, sleeping together and the like. That might be nothing more than physical comfort, but it does suggest a degree of trust as well.

Just to be clear: mine does not love me. I have no illusions about our relationship. I'm his servant/keeper, not his friend.

Well, we have no real way of knowing how they would relate to an animal which proved to be non-threatening and, in fact, beneficial in the wild. I've seen pictures of "pairs" of chameleons on this board who seem to be very attached to each other, sleeping together and the like. That might be nothing more than physical comfort, but it does suggest a degree of trust as well.

Just to be clear: mine does not love me. I have no illusions about our relationship. I'm his servant/keeper, not his friend.

But you dont know if he secretly likes you in a reptile like way

But you dont know if he secretly likes you in a reptile like way

And, until chams lower themselves to learn a human language that will remain their secret.

As for being a cham's servant...I think my friends would say SLAVE instead.

Back
Top Bottom