Carpet chameleons

I wouldn't want to take one on without some previous experience. Try a panther their colors rival that of a carpet but their care is easer. One issue with them is it can be a bit harder to get captive bred unlike with a veiled, or a panther. And their life span isn't as long. But if your really set on getting one, and you do your research it's doable. Good luck.

Last edited:
No offense brownie64, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I think Carpet Chameleons are very hardy and tough. They don't require as large of an enclosure as a Veiled or Panther and they are extremely adaptable. I personally believe they do better when given higher humidity, so if keeping humidity up where you live is difficult then maybe that could be a slight issue. But then again you could just give them shower sessions at some point each week. The only other con is that they don't have as long of lifespan's as other species. But just like any other chameleon, research is the key. I just think carpet chameleons are underrated.

I wouldn't want to take one on without some previous experience. Try a panther their colors rival that of a carpet but their car is easer. One issue with them is it can be a lot harder to get captive bred unlike with a veiled, or a panther. And their life span isn't as long. But if your really set on getting one, and you do your research it's doable. Good luck.
Ok Thanks

No offense brownie64, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I think Carpet Chameleons are very hardy and tough. They don't require as large of an enclosure as a Veiled or Panther and they are extremely adaptable. I personally believe they do better when given higher humidity, so if keeping humidity up where you live is difficult then maybe that could be a slight issue. But then again you could just give them shower sessions at some point each week. The only other con is that they don't have as long of lifespan's as other species. But just like any other chameleon, research is the key. I just think carpet chameleons are underrated.
Thanks jp, I am starting research now. One of the reasons I like them is there size.

None taken. I personally love carpets but do to their shorter life spans, and as you said the humidity requirements I personally in my opinion would think them to be a first time cham. Especially if you buy an older cham. But I can totally see where you are coming from. :)

I would agree with jpowell 100%.. They are very hardy captives both CB and wild caught. I had a 4.6 group in the early 2000's that were amazing to work with. The biggest key is getting them within a week of being imported.

I would love to have a Carpet for my smaller enclosure. Right now I'm using it (a 16 x 16 x 30 Reptibreeze with branches and pothos) to house a juvenile Jacksons, but having a Carpet would be so cool, they are stunning and stay small.

Carpet chameleons are a great species to keep. They do have some increased difficulties when it comes to breeding but just keeping doesn't really post anything too different when compared to something like a panther.

We currently have a nice group of cb babies growing up which will be available after the New Years. If anyone is interested in getting one or a pair please feel free to reach out. Also, if there are any questions about their care or requirements please feel free to ask as well!

Nhenn

How are they personality wise? Also not sure I seen a caresheet for them. Do you have one or know of a good one to research?

Nhenn

How are they personality wise? Also not sure I seen a caresheet for them. Do you have one or know of a good one to research?

Like most of the smaller species they are more for watching than holding. That isn't to say they are nasty but they are normally very cautious of you since you are so much larger than they are. Larger species like Panthers can develop a trust bond with you where I can't say that carpet chameleons can do the same. They are constantly on edge when being out and handled as they are just scared and don't want you to eat them lol.

As for a care sheet, I normally recommend reading an article written by Kevin Stanford (Dooley1). I would consider him the carpet king as he was the one who originally got me into carpet chameleons. He says the article is out of date but that is more pertaining to the breeding side of the equation as he currently uses a different method for incubation but everything in this article is correct and will work perfectly. http://www.chameleonnews.com/06MayStanford.html

Like most of the smaller species they are more for watching than holding. That isn't to say they are nasty but they are normally very cautious of you since you are so much larger than they are. Larger species like Panthers can develop a trust bond with you where I can't say that carpet chameleons can do the same. They are constantly on edge when being out and handled as they are just scared and don't want you to eat them lol.

As for a care sheet, I normally recommend reading an article written by Kevin Stanford (Dooley1). I would consider him the carpet king as he was the one who originally got me into carpet chameleons. He says the article is out of date but that is more pertaining to the breeding side of the equation as he currently uses a different method for incubation but everything in this article is correct and will work perfectly. http://www.chameleonnews.com/06MayStanford.html
Thanks for this :)

Yeah, if you can find them captive bred then I would get them because a lot of chameleons come from the wild. My jackson came from the wild and he loves to take walks and chill outside on my arm when I'm outside in the summer.

Carpet chameleons are a great species to keep. They do have some increased difficulties when it comes to breeding but just keeping doesn't really post anything too different when compared to something like a panther.

We currently have a nice group of cb babies growing up which will be available after the New Years. If anyone is interested in getting one or a pair please feel free to reach out. Also, if there are any questions about their care or requirements please feel free to ask as well!

I Might get one for my 16 x 16 x 30 enclosure sitting around! depends on price though :/

Back
Top Bottom