Can veiled chameleons eat fish?

That pic above is photoshopped, the enclosures are all the same picture :)

I have seen a VERY successful hydroponic system that used a fish tank to enrich and clean the water. Google "Guppy-ponics" if you're interested.
Here is the High Times article on it :D
http://hightimes.com/grow/agrossman/479

Fantastic if you want to fertilize the plants in your system naturally. Also the fish are a lot more sensitive so a great early warning for contaminated water.

Sorry, your right. I looked up there natural enviroment and found this. I was really mistaken about what is natural for them.:p
rainforest3.jpg

Lets not get silly Brandon, nor take artistic liberties with images without the owners permission! (incidently, good work except you didnt cut out the bricks.)
No captive enviroment is 'natural' ofcourse, but your being deliberately sarcastic and obtusive here. Whats not 'Natural' about what you want to do, will be the climatic conditions caused by your 'design'. Extreme high humidity 24/7 does not occure in yemen where your veiled comes from. Look it up.
I have already said this. Why ask for advice if you dont really want it?
You do whatever you like anyway. :)

That pic above is photoshopped, the enclosures are all the same picture

But its a nice enclosure eh! :D

Lets not get silly Brandon, nor take artistic liberties with images without the owners permission! (incidently, good work except you didnt cut out the bricks.)
No captive enviroment is 'natural' ofcourse, but your being deliberately sarcastic and obtusive here. Whats not 'Natural' about what you want to do, will be the climatic conditions caused by your 'design'. Extreme high humidity 24/7 does not occure in yemen where your veiled comes from. Look it up.
I have already said this. Why ask for advice if you dont really want it?
You do whatever you like anyway. :)

But its a nice enclosure eh! :D

Geeez I was just kidding:p
I will defintly monitor the humidity even before introducing the cham. Because this is not an inclosure, high humidity should not be a problem. The vines above the tank will extend to near the ceiling. Should be 5ft above the tank. I think the only time I will see the humidity go high will be durring misting which is normal. I really doubt the cham will go and just sit right above the water, which is the only place the humidity might be higher, but I will see and make changes as needed. It wouldn't be much different than having a pan of water under the cage.

The thing is I am not going to make the cham live in a bad enviroment. I will observe parimeters as well as behavior before introducing and after introducing.

20180802_131247.jpg
Well I got stage 4 cancer and got out of my hobbies for a while. I am now cancer free 3 years. Anyway I did get this setup done but a little different than I had first planned but here it is. So far so good. The chameleon does not have anything to do with the fish. The chameleon stays on the wood for the most part. Humidity is not an issue. There are temp gradients where it can go to cooler or warm warmer areas.

View attachment 211227 Well I got stage 4 cancer and got out of my hobbies for a while. I am now cancer free 3 years. Anyway I did get this setup done but a little different than I had first planned but here it is. So far so good. The chameleon does not have anything to do with the fish. The chameleon stays on the wood for the most part. Humidity is not an issue. There are temp gradients where it can go to cooler or warm warmer areas.
It’s defanitly unique, hope it works out for you!

I don't think there is much risk at all of drowning in this setup
I read the whole thread and made that comment before I saw your pics. Now I agree that it is low risk, but still possible. I was think of a open top aquarium with a few sticks across the top!

View attachment 211227 Well I got stage 4 cancer and got out of my hobbies for a while. I am now cancer free 3 years. Anyway I did get this setup done but a little different than I had first planned but here it is. So far so good. The chameleon does not have anything to do with the fish. The chameleon stays on the wood for the most part. Humidity is not an issue. There are temp gradients where it can go to cooler or warm warmer areas.

I'm glad your health has returned. If I'm being fair and honest though, that is a terrible idea for so many reasons. Just to start there are a lack of perches, space, etc. Among the risks of drowning, RI, stress in general, etc.

I'm glad your health has returned. If I'm being fair and honest though, that is a terrible idea for so many reasons. Just to start there are a lack of perches, space, etc. Among the risks of drowning, RI, stress in general, etc.

Thank you. That pic is only a small section of the space available to it. If it were to fall in the water there are flowers or driftwood touching all water areas. Not much of the top is open water. Very easy for it to get out of the water if needed. Honestly I don't think there is a much of a chance for it to fall in as there are too many items that it would land on from any part that it may fall.

I was thinking about building a very large cage that goes over top a open top 150 gallon aquarium that has breeding guppies in it. Most fish in there are about 1/8th" long and swim at the surface. I was just curious if they would attempt to eat the fish. I don't really care if they did get eaten because there are plenty of fish in there. I was just wondering if they had insects availible and the fish were there also would they try?
My veiled female chameleon only eats her super worms or swimming prey (I cant wait until my pinkys arrive!) She literally waits till the horned worms wax and meal/ super worms are in her domain ....although My chameleon is different than most she loves to be handled and she loves t.v. and humming or mimicing her cooing????????????

My veiled female chameleon only eats her super worms or swimming prey (I cant wait until my pinkys arrive!) She literally waits till the horned worms wax and meal/ super worms are in her domain ....although My chameleon is different than most she loves to be handled and she loves t.v. and humming or mimicing her cooing????????????
When you say Pinkys... Do you mean like mice? Because these should not be fed to chameleons. And chams do not coo. So she is either hissing at you or she has something else going on causing the noise.

It might. Movement plays a big part in a chams (most lizards) prey recognition.
Refraction would cause some difficulty with striking at fish aswell I imagine, despite binocular vision.(just for the record)

You should. Your lizards health is your responsibility. If it 'wanted' to eat cheeseballs would you let it?
A diet of fish, if it 'wanted', and you let it, would soon see your lizard with serious problems.

why not show equal concern for the correct diet for your lizard?
Oops realized this is an old post?

I can see a number of problems with this type of setup but I'll focus on any attempt the chameleon might make to feed on the fish. Basic physics would suggest that if the chameleon were to take a shot at fish in the water, the change in density between air and water would cause the tongue to very suddenly stop or redirect in another direction. This is similar to a chameleon shooting at a cricket on the other side of a plate of glass. They don't see the obstacle and the abrupt and unanticipated stop could cause damage to the tongue.

Chris
Just to add to this: I wonder whether the chameleon brain can compensate for the whole bent stick phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom