can coil uvb bulbs cause problems for chameleons???

Its actually very good for them. All reptiles (at least i think) require uva/uvb light. It helps theyre bones and bodily functions!

Its actually very good for them. All reptiles (at least i think) require uva/uvb light. It helps theyre bones and bodily functions!

yeah ik uvb lights help them just this guy said get the bulbs not the coil bulb it can cause blindness and eye probles so im a lil worried

I dont think so because there is a reptile company that makes coil bulbs. But id stay away from it, just to be on the safe side.

In the past there was a problem with the coils giving off the wrong levels of UV and causing blindness and death, but it has since been corrected. Toi stay safe I stick with the repti glo tube 5.0 but many people on here are starting to use the coils again with no problem.

The only problem with using the coil is that the rays are confined to a certain radius. The tube bulbs can span the width of your enclosure. Your original concern has been addressed and resolved. So no worries... :)

In the past there was a problem with the coils giving off the wrong levels of UV and causing blindness and death, but it has since been corrected. Toi stay safe I stick with the repti glo tube 5.0 but many people on here are starting to use the coils again with no problem.

thank you so much lol and i have a repti glo 5.0 coil and a 50 watt zilla bulb that ok??

The only problem with using the coil is that the rays are confined to a certain radius. The tube bulbs can span the width of your enclosure. Your original concern has been addressed and resolved. So no worries... :)

what do u recoment?

what do u recoment?

Natural sunlight! ;) Your bulb is fine. When you change it out in 6 months (you know you have to change every 6 months, right?), consider getting a new fixture that you can set across the top of your enclosure and get a tube bulb. Just my opinion...

Natural sunlight! ;) Your bulb is fine. When you change it out in 6 months (you know you have to change every 6 months, right?), consider getting a new fixture that you can set across the top of your enclosure and get a tube bulb. Just my opinion...

will do and i did not knopw that thanks for the heads up

From experience, stay away from them and work with linear lighting. CFL are too concentrated with their output. Linear spreads out the UVB and light and is more natural.

CFLs used to kill chameleons. Now they are 'safe' but still, high levels of UVB near the lamp. Not worth it to me.

Lots of people use CFLs without any problems and their chams thrive under them for years.

It isn't that long ago that there were issues with CFLs. And they still have high levels of UVB up close. For young chams, they are not a good idea. Young chameleons climb on the top of cages and can be sitting too close being exposed to high levels of UV rays.

Unless you are selling CFLs I am not sure why you would pump them. Linear fixtures provide a better coverage of light over a cage than a single source such as a CFL. It is hard to place a CFL and basking lamp in a good position for good exposure. The lumens from CFL lamps isn't all that great. If people want to be more 'naturalistic' look a CFL is not a good choice. I think there are too many 'bad strikes' to the use of CFLs than there are linear lamps. Sure, both types have some rotten eggs... but if you look to one of the best brands for UVB lighting, ZooMed, the two products are polar oposites. Again, they may have 'corrected' issues from the initial run of CFL products.... you can't ignore the poor characteristics of the CFL lamp.

It isn't that long ago that there were issues with CFLs. And they still have high levels of UVB up close. For young chams, they are not a good idea. Young chameleons climb on the top of cages and can be sitting too close being exposed to high levels of UV rays.

Unless you are selling CFLs I am not sure why you would pump them. Linear fixtures provide a better coverage of light over a cage than a single source such as a CFL. It is hard to place a CFL and basking lamp in a good position for good exposure. The lumens from CFL lamps isn't all that great. If people want to be more 'naturalistic' look a CFL is not a good choice. I think there are too many 'bad strikes' to the use of CFLs than there are linear lamps. Sure, both types have some rotten eggs... but if you look to one of the best brands for UVB lighting, ZooMed, the two products are polar oposites. Again, they may have 'corrected' issues from the initial run of CFL products.... you can't ignore the poor characteristics of the CFL lamp.
i got a zilla coil 5.0 so im debating on getting another and its hanging not directly on the cage

Back
Top Bottom