are pothos plants toxic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by will187, Sep 18, 2011.

  1. will187

    will187
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    So im looking into getting a live plant for pedro, and ive been reading up on the much promoted "pothos" or Epipremnum aureum . i read about it on a wiki page, and was a little concerned with what i read there.

    Epipremnum aureum, also known as the Pothos (once classified under the genus Pothos), Silver Vine, Centipede tongavine, Devil's Ivy and Solomon Islands' Ivy, is an aroid native to southeastern Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia) and New Guinea. It is sometimes mistakenly labeled as a Philodendron in plant stores.

    The plant is listed as "toxic to cats, toxic to dogs" by the ASPCA, because of the presence of insoluble raphides. Care should be taken to ensure the plant is not consumed by house pets or children. Symptoms may include oral irritation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. (souce: Wikipedia)

    is this true? is it JUST cats and dogs/children it affects? i certainly dont want to put anything in pedro's enclosure that could harm him or cause any distress whatsoever. let me know what you guys think.
     
  2. okiroo

    okiroo
    Expand Collapse
    Established Member

  3. SamanthaElle

    SamanthaElle
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Ah be careful! I learned that not all pothos are safe for chameleons.

    The golden pothos variety is the safe one!

    This is the same with all other plants. Just match up the scientific names on the FLChams Safe plant list and you will be good!
     
  4. Syn

    Syn
    Expand Collapse
    Avid Member

    I have a non-golden pothos that my veiled chameleon munches on every now and then.
    I think the quantity they would need to consume to be harmful in any way is far more than a chameleon would be able to consume in a day or even a week.
     
  5. okiroo

    okiroo
    Expand Collapse
    Established Member

    agreed. i'd say their pritty harmless. learn from experince though.
     
  6. pssh

    pssh
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Be sure it isn't a philodendron or whatever.

    They are fine for lizards. Mammals and reptiles are different, so not everything that applies to mammals is the same for reptiles.
     
  7. okiroo

    okiroo
    Expand Collapse
    Established Member

    agreed, + you really should not use wiki as a place to find all your info. not saying its false. just could be.
     
  8. jdog1027

    jdog1027
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Scheffeleras are on the safe plant list for chameleons as well, but they are also on a list of toxic house plants. Like Pssh said, there is obviously a difference in how reptiles digest compared to mammals. I've also had my Veileds munch on Oleander and they never became ill. However, they didn't digest it- they completely passed it looking just like a chewed up piece of leaf.
     
  9. will187

    will187
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    ok. im a bit confused. you say its on the safe plant list. and ive seen it myself, and yet, even on this site it says:

    Toxicity and Irritants
    This plant is high in oxalates and can be somewhat toxic when eaten in large quantities. If a chameleon is eating this plant frequently, removal of the plant should be considered.
     
  10. DavidBuchan

    DavidBuchan
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    So, yes, it is toxic, but it is also safe to keep with a Chameleon (or a cat for that matter, if it's not eating it.....) unless the cham is eating it in large quantities. If it's just a nibble every now and then it's just for moisture or roughage......
     
  11. will187

    will187
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    ok, so how much should i consider a large quantity? i know im splitting hairs, but i actually really like this plant and think it would be great for his viv. so if he's, like, decimating the plant, get it out, but a leaf or two every now and then wont hurt kinda thing? and also.. dave, suffering from insomnia too? lol
     
  12. DavidBuchan

    DavidBuchan
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Yeah, you'll notice the occasional bite sized bit of leaf missing......not a prob. - If you see a leaf or more gone at once then you might start to worry.......
    And lol, suffering, me? Never :cool:.....having fun, smoking away, listening to tunes with a mate I've not seen in a bit. Just watched Reservoir Dogs - even better than I remembered it.......going to work now....I'm an idiot but I'll get through it :D
     
  13. pssh

    pssh
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Some chameleons have eaten whole pothos plants without issue. I don't think it's much of an issue.
     
  14. kinyonga

    kinyonga
    Expand Collapse
    Chameleon Enthusiast

    Many of my veiled females have stripped a whole pothos plant bare of leaves and they still managed to live to be over 6 years old...so I think that is indication enough that the pothos is not toxic to them.
     
  15. Picasso123

    Picasso123
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    It's toxic in certain amounts so if the Cham enjoys it then it'll eventually kill him. Kinda like anything can poison us in large quantities. You can actually die from drinking to much water.
     
  16. Banders675

    Banders675
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    they are fine


    they are ok. I use a ficus and all though they say they cause eye irritation I have never had any problems.
     
  17. jdog1027

    jdog1027
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    -----------------------
     

Share This Page