A question to Panther breeders

ChromaChameleons

What number of clutches have your female Panthers produced?

My experience has suggested 6 - 9 clutches are about the upper and lower limit...

out of those 230, how many actually made it. did you use an incubator or the old vermiculite and rubbermaid method?

out of those 230, how many actually made it. did you use an incubator or the old vermiculite and rubbermaid method?

Most of them would have made it if I knew what I was doing in the early stages. Later on, I was getting only one or two deaths per clutch. All clutches were viable (except one) when laid and she lived a little over 2.5 years. This was back in 2001. She'd have probably lived twice as long if I hadn't fed her so much. Vermiculite and rubbermaid, yes. But if I told you the rest, I'd have to kill you. :)

Thanx for your honesty steven. sounds like you would do a much better job now!! What did you mean by "feeding her too much". is there something i should know as a proud father of a 13 month old gravid lady? Any advice(especially about longevity)would be greatly appreciated.
OH btw, she has already layed a clutch of 23 three weeks ago.

Most of them would have made it if I knew what I was doing in the early stages. Later on, I was getting only one or two deaths per clutch. All clutches were viable (except one) when laid and she lived a little over 2.5 years. This was back in 2001. She'd have probably lived twice as long if I hadn't fed her so much. Vermiculite and rubbermaid, yes. But if I told you the rest, I'd have to kill you. :)[/
Sorry, i should have used the quote option on that last entry
Stephen

Steven:

Thanks for the reply.

Did the number of eggs in each clutch diminish as she got older???

And how many crickets would you consider a daily feeding for her??

I'm just trying to gauge your idea of overfeeding . I personally feed 3 - 5 crickets a day under normal conditions and then up that to 6-7 liberally supplemented crickets a day when gravid .

I'm so curious to know that you are welcome to kill me after you tell me...LOL.

Steven:

Thanks for the reply.

Did the number of eggs in each clutch diminish as she got older???

And how many crickets would you consider a daily feeding for her??

I'm just trying to gauge your idea of overfeeding . I personally feed 3 - 5 crickets a day under normal conditions and then up that to 6-7 liberally supplemented crickets a day when gravid .

I'm so curious to know that you are welcome to kill me after you tell me...LOL.

Sorry...back from a trip to the relatives. Yeah, honesty is the best policy. I'd rather voice my mistakes and indescretions of youth than let others repeat them. I was feeding her 7 to 8 adult crickets (or their equivalent) every day. Your feeding policy sounds a lot better than what I was using.

And yes, the number of eggs did dimish over time. Here's a closer look at the data:

Blue Banded Ambanja Female, "Tuna", hatched late July, 2000.

1st clutch: 19 (2/23/01), age 7 months.
second: 24
third: 28
fourth: 29 (retained sperm)
fifth: 27 (more retained sperm, infertile)
sixth: 33
seventh: 25
eighth: 16
ninth: 17 (retained sperm?)
tenth: 12? (scattered, non-viable)

Died: 2 months, 8 days after 10th clutch on 11/9/02. Buried at the base of dogwood tree that blooms every spring.

Back
Top Bottom